Foam is an often-undesirable byproduct in metalworking fluids. Foaming occurs as the natural result of agitation and recirculation of most metalworking fluids and can be further amplified by secondary sources such as soft water, chemical and physical contamination, or properties of the system itself (low reservoir levels, rapid flow rates, short recirculation cycles, leaking intake lines, etc.)
Unchecked foam can be detrimental to lubricating, cooling, and cleaning properties and carry impurities throughout a system, contributing to poor finishes or a shorter fluid lifecycle. Foam can also cause reservoir overflows or trip level sensors, leading to unplanned downtime and potential tool damage.
At Crucible Chemical, we offer a range of products to control foam in metalworking applications. While our standard defoamers and antifoams are effective in most applications, we understand that some applications have unique specifications. We regularly meet those needs by creating customized defoaming solutions for a variety of industries and operations.
Defoamers and Antifoams From Crucible Chemical
At Crucible Chemical, we offer a broad spectrum of defoamer and antifoam solutions for metalworking applications. Our product line includes:
- Foamkill SC-54: This non-silicone formula is ideal for use in drawing and cutting fluids. It does not interfere with paint bonding on metal surfaces and is dispersible in oil-based or water-dilutable media.
- Foamkill GT–4: This non-silicone defoamer is broadly effective in low concentrations in soluble oil, synthetic and semi-synthetic fluids.
- Foamkill 649: This high-strength non-silicone product is compatible with oil-based and water-reducible systems. Foamkill 649 is suitable for use before painting and coating processes.
- Foamkill 836A: This concentrated silicone emulsion product is highly efficient but can inhibit metal coating. It is particularly effective tank-side and or in metal cleaning applications.
- Foamkill 675: Foamkill 675 is an economical organo-silicone emulsion broadly effective at low dosage rates in soluble oil, synthetic and semi-synthetic fluids.
- Foamkill GT–24: Foamkill GT-24 is a highly compatible mineral oil anti-foam, particularly effective in tank-side applications.
- Foamkill 8J-1: This unique, high-solids silicone defoamer is ideal for synthetic systems. It is generally more effective than Foamkill SC-54 and 649.
- Foamkill 8E: This full-strength, easy to handle, compounded silicone defoamer can be used as-is in many applications or further processed into an emulsion.
- Foamkill 8R: Foamkill 8R is a higher strength product than Foamkill 8E, particularly effective in controlling foam in very aggressive media.
Benefits of Using Antifoam With Metalworking Fluid
Properly incorporating a defoamer in metalworking fluids delivers key advantages. A good foam control solution should be effective at a low dosage rate, disperse throughout the system and not interfere with any intended metal coatings. Consider the requirements of your metalworking application and fluid medium to select the ideal antifoam solution.
Selection of the right defoamer to deliver knockdown of existing foam or prevention and control of foam throughout the process increases production speed and workpiece quality, contributing to the quality of the finished work and extending the longevity of the tooling.
Crucible Chemical’s Metalworking Fluid Defoamers
At Crucible Chemical, we have over 50 years of experience manufacturing a proven Foamkill product line. Our innovative solutions deliver results that can meet your requirements. Contact us to learn more about our defoamers and other capabilities.
Don’t let foam be your problem — let it be ours.CONTACT CRUCIBLE
Foamkill is a trademark of Crucible Chemical Company, Inc.